A native of Baton Rouge and long-time resident of Bayou Corne, Sylvia moved to Hammond in May, 2012 to be closer to her two sons and seven grandsons. While she misses the beauty of the bayous, Hammond offers a new range of subjects to explore. She’s familiar with most mediums but prefers to work in oils and specializes in Louisiana landscapes. Her style is realism.
Sylvia retired from the 19th Judicial District Court several years ago after a long and varied career that took her around the world—camp
counsel during college, an engineering aide with NASA at Redstone Arsenal, to a Peace Corps Volunteer in Ethiopia. An author of seven published books and two more under contract for release later this year and the first of next year, Sylvia shares her painting time with her computer. If you like historical fiction, romantic suspense, inspirational, and cozy mysteries, please give her novels a try. All of them are available in print and electronic books from her publishers and are on the web for the Nook and Kindle. You can visit her website for more information and to read excerpts and reviews. While there, be sure to tour her art gallery. www.sylviarochester.com.
A past member of the River Region Art Association, Sylvia has participated in many shows, art marts, and has instructed classes in oil painting. She holds a
B. S. from L.S.U. in the college of arts and sciences with a concentration in
art and English.
Exhibitions and Activities
- 54tTH ANNUAL SPRING OPEN EXHIBITION
- Louisiana Coffee Painting Workshop
- 2015 Spring Show
- 2014 Annual Spring Open Show
- February 2014 One06 Exhibit
- "Starry November Night" 2013 Show at the 106 >
- "A Piece of Louisiana" Show and Sale - August/September 2013
- Jubilee! 50-Year Celebration!
- Brews Arts Festival 2013
- Tangi Tourist Commission Obelisk Restoration 2012
- Louisiana Reflections
- Art in April 2012
- Jubilee Slideshow
- Slide Show 2011
- Spring 2011 Guild Picnic
- Brews Arts Festival 2011
- HAG Board Business
- Prospectus for May 2016 Exhibition
- Tangipahoa Tourist Commission Exhibit September 1 -30, 2015
- Coffee Painting Information
- 54th Annual Spring Show 2016
- Plein Air Painting
- HAG Spring Show Prospectus
- Judge for Spring Show Mark Blitickof